I have decided to start yet another series all while still in the amidst of writing a series. Talk about one busy bee! I am currently in the process of a blogging series titled: “Who, What, When, Where, and Why’s of Blogging.” I’ve been dying to start this new series titled Florida Living and I don’t think I can hold off on writing it any longer!
Florida is where I was born and raised, where I currently live and the only state I know backwards and forwards. I thought it would be fun for me to answer questions you might have for a Florida native who lives in one of the top tourist destinations in the USA. In case you decide to visit this place, I figured you might want to know a few things from a Florida girl herself.
As some of you might know from reading about our spring adventures, I really don’t like it here but I’ve been trying to do my best to embrace it and think positively about where I live. Lately I have tried my best to make it a point to stop complaining about this state, and while it’s not always possible with this awful summertime heat we have, I have indeed discovered places and things that make Florida great!
Let’s get started shall we?! Look out readers, you’ve got some interesting and personal opinions coming from me!
10 Things I Love About Florida
- THE RAIN. During the summer it rains just about everyday in the afternoon and I LOVE it. Yes, sometimes it can rain on your parade when you’re at a water park, theme park, or in the amidst of outdoorsy activities. Don’t worry though, sun showers are common and typically the downpours only last for about ten minutes or so. But rain is wonderful and trust me, we need it. The combination of summer time weather and rain makes for a peaceful weekend staying indoors. While the rain does make our humidity awful, there’s just something about it that I find to be relaxing. Surprisingly, I love rain so much, that I enjoy hurricanes too!
- THE BEACH. Because of Florida’s peninsula shape, you are always within a 30-45 minute driving distance to a beach. And boy oh boy do we have some gorgeous beaches here. St. Augustine is a must see if you’re looking for a lovely beach visit. It’s full of history and I personally think they have the prettiest beaches. That may be why it is a popular choice for a wedding!
- THE SPRINGS. Kevin and I love visiting the springs! In fact, we had started a series/challenge for visiting as many springs as we could during this summer but that was before Kevin had his anxiety encounters. There are more than 900 gorgeous springs within Florida but alas, we’ve only made it to three: Wekiwa Springs, Rock Springs Run, and Blue Springs.
- THE THEME PARKS.Disney World, Universal, and Sea World are located within our backyard! We avoid the peak seasons like the plague and visit when all the tourists go home.
- CRUISE PORTS. Want to take a cruise? No biggie, rather than driving hours upon hours or flying here, we can hop in the car for a short drive to a port. It’s awesome and one of the main reasons we take cruises so regularly.
- THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING TO DO. I mean always. I-Drive is full of fun activities like Wonder Works, The Orlando Eye, outdoor putt putt and Madame Tussauds which is a wax museum! It’s a tourist trap but it’s always open for the natives.
- YEAR ROUND FLIP FLOP WEATHER. Not a fan of snow or the cold in general? Come to Florida where our winters are extremely mild. We’re talking 10 months of summer and about two months of fall. I’ve never had the opportunity to wear my boots in but I always have an endless supply of flip flops on hand.
- JOBS ARE EASY TO FIND. If your major is hospitality, then you’re going to have your pick of the crop. Lots of hospitality jobs available down here, because for some reason, people keep flocking here which means the demand for employment keeps rising.
- MANATEES. These loving, slow moving animals are our native mammal! If you go to a spring early in the day, it’s almost guaranteed that you’ll catch a few swimming within the springs. You can watch an underwater GoPro video featuring manatees Kevin made here!
- STAY-CATIONS ARE TOTALLY DOABLE. Needing a break from reality but not looking to go far? No worries! There seems to be an endless supply of beautiful resorts with unbelievable pools all over the place. Without breaking the bank, you can travel close and still feel like you’re miles upon miles away from home.
What are some of your favorite things about Florida? Have any questions, let me know in the comment box down below! 🙂