Lately I’ve been quite drained and so I
sometimes always feel tired. I don’t feel like doing anything especially cooking. Ick. Usually I love it but since things have been dragging me down lately, I figured it was time to not only fix my attitude but find ways to subtlety, yet productively, help ease me back into the normality of routine.
Part of keeping up with my schedule includes planning, preparing, and shopping for meals. ALL meals. We’re talking breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner is my full responsibility. It was easy peasy when I was a stay at home wife, but now that I have a husband who is quite literally falling apart, and a job, things just haven’t been going so smoothly. Life is going all over the place, in every which direction that it seems as if I can’t keep up. Needless to say not only does my husband need a vacation, but I need one as well!
Since life is very busy and draining, I have decided to help make it a little easier on myself by coming up with simpler meals. I would say it’s unfortunate that I have allergies because I can’t just pop a microwaveable dinner in the oven. I have to be more creative. Yes, allergies prevent me from just throwing a pizza in the oven and calling it a night (what a nice thing this would be), but Kevin and I have become more healthier in the process of sticking to our eating at home plan. I have come up with meals that are some of our favorites and have created a healthier version for us to devour.
Chicken “Fried” Brown Rice
I love fried rice! I could eat a heaping plate of the stuff and usually I do! Since we’ve been sticking to this eatting at home thing, I’ve been diligently trying to make a healthier version and I think I have succeeded! I really don’t have a standard recipe that I stick to, and I prefer it to be this way. Yet for this post, I’ll give you a generalized idea.
What you need:
- Box of brown rrice
- Any veggies you have on hand
- Olive Oil
- Adobo Seasoning
- Cooked Chicken (I use canned, but rotisserie or baked works too)
- Minced Garlic
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Get your brown rice started! I usually cook the entire box as I like to have leftovers.
- Get your veggies sizzelin’! My husband isn’t a fan of veggies, so if I’m making this dish for the both of us I’ll go a little lighter on the vegetables. If it’s just for me I will pour everything I have on hand that sounds good into the pot. For this particular batch I used half a bag of frozen peas, corn, and green beans. Then I chopped up half an onion and a few carrots. Pssssst…. If this was just for me, I would have used a whole bag of frozen veggies, a whole onion, extra carrots, and some peppers!
- Toss in your minced garlic and some adobo seasoning. I eye ball everything (Thanks mom!) so I unfortunately do not have the exact measurements for you, but I sprinkle the veggies twice throughout the cooking process.
YUM. I’m tempted to eat the pan of veggies every time.
- After the veggies are close to being done cooking, I will add one-two eggs and scramble them into the veggies.
- After the rice is done, add the chicken and stir.
- Combine veggies and chicken-rice into one bowl and mix in a dash of sesame oil (about a teaspoon) and about 1/4 a cup of soy sauce. You can add more or less depending on your preference.
TA-DA! There you have it folks. A satisfying yet healthy indulgence! Enjoy 🙂